Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry with Saffron Fonio
For the curry:
2 tbsp Biona Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus 2 tsp)
1 red onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds (any colour)
1 tbsp medium curry powder
500ml vegetable stock
400g can Biona Chopped Tomatoes
400g can Biona Chickpeas, drained
¼ small pack fresh coriander, to serve
For the saffron fonio:
185g Biona Fonio
½ tsp of salt
Pinch of saffron
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan, add the chopped red onion and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and medium curry powder. Cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add the chickpeas, then heat through for about 5 minutes.
- To prepare the saffron fonio, add 2 tsp olive oil and the fonio to a pan, and toast for 2 minutes on a medium/low heat.
- Add the water, salt and saffron, then simmer for 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Fluff the grain with a fork before serving.
- Sprinkle the curry with coriander and serve with the saffron fonio!