RUBY CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE
For the sponge:
225g plain flour
225g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
180ml Biona Coconut Oil
60ml strong black coffee, cooled
1 ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
For the topping:
2 x 400g cans Biona Coconut Whipping Cream
45g icing sugar
Drop of red food colouring
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
75g ruby chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line two 20cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Melt the ruby chocolate in a small bowl. Once melted, dip each strawberry in the chocolate and place on a tray. Place the tray in the fridge to set until needed to decorate the cake.
- Sift the flours, sugar, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the oil, coffee, vinegar, vanilla and 430ml water. Use a large metal spoon to stir gently until smooth and combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the baking tins. Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes are springy when touched. Leave to cool.
- Place the coconut cream in a bowl and add the icing sugar, red food colouring and vanilla. Use an electric whisk to blend until thick.
- Place 1 cake on a serving plate and spread with half the icing. Add the other cake on top, spread with the remaining icing and top with the chocolate covered strawberries.