Hot & Smoky Beans on Toast
To serve: 4 slices sourdough bread Vegan butter 2 Avocados, sliced 1 lime, juiced Fresh chillies, chopped Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, celery and carrot until golden.
- Add the garlic, chillies, cumin, smoked paprika, chipotle paste and worcester sauce and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and thyme, and season. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Add the drained kidney beans and season again, then bring back to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, so the beans take on all the flavours already in the pan. You should end up with a thick mixture. If it’s too sloppy, continue to cook. Check for seasoning and stir in the coriander.
- To serve, toast the sourdough and spread with a little vegan butter. Spoon the hot beans on top and add the slices of avocado – squeezing over the lime juice at this point – more coriander, and sliced chillies. Serve immediately.