Organic Baked Chocolate Doughnuts
Gluten free, vegan baked doughnuts made with organic, wholesome ingredients and topped with an indulgent chocolate-agave glaze. Our doughnut recipe is the perfect healthy alternative to satiate your sweet tooth.
120ml unsweetened almond milk (warmed in the microwave or on hob)
60g melted Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil
65g Biona Coconut Palm Sugar
60ml Biona Organic Maple Agave Syrup
1 tsp Vanilla extract
¼ tsp sea salt
80g Biona Organic Apple Purée 2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
70g + 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
140g almond flour 180g + 2 tbsp gluten-free flour blend
For the glaze: 45g (melted) Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil 15ml Biona Organic Maple Agave Syrup 28g unsweetened cocoa powder 1 pinch sea salt 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 60g Dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan-assisted) and lightly grease two doughnut pans or a standard muffin tin.
- To a small mixing bowl, add aquafaba liquid and use a mixer (or whisk) to vigorously blend until soft peaks form - about 1-2 minutes. Set aside. (A sprinkle of cream of tartar helps them firm up if they aren’t forming peaks.)
- To a large mixing bowl, add the melted coconut oil. Then add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and sea salt and whisk vigorously to combine - about 45 seconds. Then add applesauce and warmed almond milk and whisk once more to combine.
- Add baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder (sifted if clumpy), almond flour, and gluten-free flour and whisk to combine.
- Lastly, add the whipped aquafaba and gently stir/whisk in, trying to be as gentle as possible. If the batter appears too thin at this point, add 1 Tbsp each almond flour or gluten-free flour at a time until it thickens up. It should be quite thick.
- Divide batter evenly between doughnut tins, filling all the way full. If using a muffin tin, fill slightly more than 1/2 full. There should be 11-12 doughnuts.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and the top appears dry and fluffy.
- Whilst you wait for the doughnuts to bake, prepare the glaze. To a small mixing bowl, add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, sifted cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. You should have a slightly thick glaze. If too thick, thin with a little maple syrup or more coconut oil. If too thin, add cocoa powder.
- Remove doughnuts from the oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Then remove from the tin and let it cool for at least 5 mins on a cooling rack.
- Dip in glaze and drizzle over melted chocolate in a zig-zag pattern and set aside.
- Serve and enjoy!