Enjoy some weekend baking and whip up a batch of our vegan scones. Serve with our coconut whipping cream and strawberry spread for the ultimate teatime treat.
For the scones:
500 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 heaped tbsp Organic Biona Coconut Sugar
A good pinch of fine sea salt
100 g Biona Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil at room temperature
Approx. 320 ml almond milk (or any other thin plant mylk)
For the glaze:
2 tbsp almond
Biona Organic Coconut Sugar to sprinkle.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and salt and mix well.
- Chop the coconut oil into small pieces and then rub into the flour with your fingers until the flour looks pebbly.
- Start adding plant mylk slowly while bringing the dough together. Start off using a spoon and then just use your hands. Do not handle the dough too much, just until it’s combined and stays together. Do not worry about it being very smooth.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes (no longer than that as the baking powder will lose its fizz) while you heat up the oven to 220° C / 425° F and line a baking tray with a piece of baking paper.
- After the dough has had a chance to rest, roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Keep the dough thick (2 cm for fluffy scones).
- Use a cookie cutter that is 5 cm in diameter and cut circles out of the dough. Place over the baking tray and gently pop the scone out onto the tray.
- Place the scones on the prepared baking tray, making sure there is some space around each one. Mix all the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl and glaze the tops of the scones with a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle each scone with some coconut sugar and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Let the scones cool down a little before cutting them in half with a serrated knife and filling them with coconut whipping cream and Strawberry Spread.