Try our recipe for this vegan take on the classic festive trifle. Made with layers of our Organic Fruit Cocktail and lashings of Organic Custard, this is the ultimate party dessert. Perfect for feeding a crowd and made even better by being served in the Emma Bridgewater party-ready trifle bowl.
1 x can of Biona Organic Tropical Fruit Cocktail in Juice (well drained)
1 x 415g can of Peach Slices in Juice (well drained)
Handful of fresh cherries, stalks on
Edible gold dust/ desiccated coconut/ hundreds of thousands
2 tsp crushed, freeze dried raspberries (optional)
400g Soya custard
50g baking spread
150g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Berries & flowers for decorationVegan Sponge Cake:
400g plain flour
2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons Biona Organic Olive oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoon Biona Organic Apple Cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease 2 x 20cm round cake tins
- Sieve together the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour some of the mixture into prepared tin and bake at 180 C for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Soak the sponge by pricking the surface with a fork and gently drizzling with elderflower cordial.
- Prepare cherries for decoration by brushing with gold dust (optional)
- Crush the freeze dried raspberries to soya custard to colour naturally.
- Make the buttercream by adding the icing sugar and baking spread to a mixing bowl and beat using your electric mixer, start at low speed, gradually increasing speed until perfectly smooth.
- Now it’s time to assemble your trifle! Gently place the layer of soaked sponge cake into the base of your trifle bowl.
- Add a layer of pink soya custard
- Top with a layer of Peach Slices & Tropical Fruit
- Repeat this pattern as many times as your bowl allows.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the top layer with the vegan buttercream with extra dabs piped in a circle around the edge of the trifle.
- Place your decorated cherries where you have piped your dabs and decorate with fresh berries and flowers (remove before eating!) or anything you like.