BLACKBERRY NECTARINE VEGAN PAVLOVA
A mouth-wateringly fluffy pavlova made, extraordinarily, with our chickpea water (aquafaba) instead of egg for an airy, crunchy meringue base. Topped with whipped vegan cream and fresh fruit making it a flamboyant, show-stopping dessert for the whole family to enjoy.
For the toppings: 300ml Vegan whipped cream of choice 300ml pure cream 2 tbsp sifted icing sugar, plus extra for dusting 3 small or 2 large yellow nectarines, washed and sliced 125g blackberries
- Preheat your oven to 130°C (110°C fan oven) and line a large tray with baking paper.
- Place the liquid from the tin of chickpeas in a small pot over a medium-low heat. Pour it into a bowl to weigh it every so often and keep simmering it until it weighs 80 grams.
- Measure out your caster sugar and set aside.
- Place the reduced aqua faba into a large, clean bowl along with the cream of tartar, vanilla and xanthan gum (if using). Use an electric whisk or stand mixer to mix until it becomes thick, pale and frothy.
- Keep the mixer on and slowly start adding in the sugar, around 2 tablespoons at a time. Make sure the first 2 tablespoons of sugar are completely mixed in before adding the next 2.
- Keep whisking until the mixture forms very stiff peaks. If you're using xanthan gum, it will whip a lot quicker so just whisk for as long as you can before it starts sticking to the mixers. You should be able to hold the bowl upside down for a few seconds without the mixture moving around.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture onto your lined baking tray and bake for 2 hours.
- After this time, turn off the oven completely and do not open the door. Keep it in there with the door closed for at least 4 hours before removing it (leaving it overnight is ideal).