FREE SHIPPING WHEN YOU SPEND OVER £50!
Vegan Cherry Tomato & Tofu Shakshuka
Serves: 2-3 |
Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hour
Our vegan take on the classic Shakshuka is the perfect dish to make for breakfast (or lunch or dinner!) on the weekend. Made with organic cherry tomatoes, this healthy savoury recipe is perfect for dunking our rye bread into.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan, on low-medium heat. Add chopped onion and fry, stirring frequently, until it softens and becomes almost translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and fry for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic softens and becomes fragrant.
- Add chopped red pepper and fry it until it softens. If using aubergine, you could add it to the pan at the same stage as the red pepper and let it cook in the sauce.
- Now stir in all of the spices: cumin, smoked paprika and chilli. Fry them off gently for about a minute, stirring the whole time.
- Stir tomato paste into the mixture and add the chopped tomatoes and about half a cup (120 ml) of water. Season with ½ tsp salt and let the tomato sauce thicken by cooking it on a low-medium heat for about 45 min. Make sure you give it a stir every now and then.
- Drain tofu and cut it up into a rough dice. Season it with black salt and a few pinches of turmeric and set aside.
- Once the sauce has thickened, taste it and season with a bit more salt and some black pepper. If your tomatoes are tangy, you may want to balance the flavour with a little coconut sugar.
- Place seasoned tofu on the sauce and pop frozen peas into the pan too. Decrease the heat to low, pop a lid on to allow the peas to defrost and the tofu to warm up.
- Serve with some toasted rye bread on the side, sprinkled with fresh parsley and drizzle with some olive oil.